Sunday, December 31, 2017

Just discovered a page on Facebook

Another page but with great reproductions of the fanzines that made me want to do a modern version of zines for Skyrealms of Jorune.

Fanzine Appreciation and History

Beautiful scans of the amateur magazines that were my source and inspiration.
The Corrected CYMK cover.

As part of my personal fanzine karma, I finally connected with someone to get a clean 300dpi scan of STAR STUDDED COMICS #7, published by the Texas Trio (Howard Keltner, Buddy Saunders, and my old fan friend Larry Herndon). It went off to the printer for the wonder of 4-Color Lithographic (Offset, actually) printing for a litho fanzine, the creme-de-la-creme of zine publishing.

But the printer reversed the Cyan and Magenta plates. I have previously tried to correct that error but was limited to the 72 dpi scans I could find online. Which were insufficient.

300dpi allowed me to go into the graphic, convert to CYMK, copy the four plates (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black) into a new Photoshop file, make each level "Multiply" for overlay viewing, and then "colorize" the black copies of the plate to the appropriate key color.

As it appeared in 1965 (1966?)
I'm pleased with the result, even if it is "too green" for me. I would have colored it differently - but as an effort to clean up the original ...

I must confess. I tweaked the Defender, whose costume was Red White and Blue, but Howard's color assignments made it brown white and green. I also made the fog blue, as Biljo White said it should be. But the rest - witness the burning of 50-year-old karma, which started the first time I saw STAR STUDDED COMICS #6 and #7 on Wayne Baldaro's kitchen table, on my first visit to him after having my letter published in TALES OF SUSPENSE #63 (the Origin of Captain America).

Yeah, I'm old.

Burning karma for the new year. Free at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment