Friday, November 17, 2017

Review

I really hoped to get more feedback on the project, but I am not unfamiliar with providing my own. I just suspect the source.

In review, we have put out the original, and the reboot version of GOMO GUIDE: THONEPORT. I see things that I would like to do differently, but I'm not going to keep tweaking. Learn the lessons, move on. Later, if I get the two planned GOMO GUIDES out (Tan Iricid and The Great Lake District) in the new format, I will do a layout for Thoneport to fit with the others. It has been out for a while and I will leave it alone. For a while.

SHOLARI v2n1 is finally real, PDF and Print versions. That was like giving birth, with a demon trying to force it back in. The print maze with DriveThruRPG almost made me drop the whole thing for something with fewer headaches and frustrations. But, months behind the intended release, the arcane system was bested and both editions are out.

Out of the frustration with DriveThruRPG came something I could control — and it's always about control, isn't it? SEGMENT: SHO-CAUDAL has been the most satisfying, most organic, most spontaneous, and I knew that the whatever I decided to do would get into people's hands. My goal was 100 subscribers, and I have 9 subscribers, had 6 up-front, and another five single-copy buyers. Nowhere near the go and I've had to drop things to find some sources of money to cover the problems of new surgery, hiked medical costs, standard inflation (which the authorities say we aren't having, but they don't include food in their inflation calculation), and non-standard gouging from taxes, fees, services and the like. If I had the support from Jorune, I could focus on Jorune.

I've been a one-man band and my experience is people just stop responding. I cannot help but take that personally. I am the only thing they all have in common, but they just stop. I don't know why, I don't get a warning, or an explanation, just wind blowing across the prairie and a tumbleweed rolling across the street.

That means six things have been published in the last year, despite the problems with hardware, software and Joe's brain. Thoneport, Sholari, and four issues of Segment: Sho-Caudal. Six is good. I had been hoping for twelve, but six is good.

If you know someone who loved Jorune, I hope this is faithful to the spirit and make the world richer and more textured. I love going to Jorune for some time out, and I would like other people to find something interesting. But aside from three people who wrote a couple of emails, I have not heard or seen any response, good or bad.

I was invited.
I'll continue. The computer problems seem to be over (thought Adobe CC 2018 has serious problems for Photoshop and InDesign that may cause me to drop both of them), a friend has let me use his Adobe CC account and that will need to stop. I had hoped the trickle of money from subscriptions would cover that. But - doesn't look like. And the energy spent doing other things does not just take away that amount of time, it wears me out so that I don't have the energy or ability to do what it takes to do Jorune.

Finishing up SEGMENT: SHO-CAUDAL #5 in the next two weeks, got back into ORFA for release (it will be a free product so I don't worry if people don't like how long it takes). I will get them edited and then release that one to begin on #6. I can do 16 pages in my sleep. I have to be awake for Tan Iricid and the next Sholari, but I can probably get those done. They may be full of typos, but I can do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment