Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Benefits of Being a Packrat

Ce n'est pas la couverture de SSC #11
But very much like it
I had a small panic. The coming issue of SEGMENT: SHO-CAUDAL is themed as OTHER PEOPLE'S JORUNE.

I have permission from Fred Lang to use his amazing 3d Painting of a Crugar lost in Gilthaw for the cover. This is not the cover yet, but it shows the beginning of the #11 cover evolution. Wonderful piece of art, and it is about Jorune, too.

I found a lost module from legendary Jorune Second Edition author Geoff gray.

I have an adventure called PLAYING THE MARKET which does not have the author's information on it - don't know how that happened but sometimes it happens. Working on that.

I have a bunch of nuggets - little ideas that could lead to big expansions - from several people.

A then there was the Heridothian — a unique Play-by-Mail game in the late 1980s and early 1990s, where the players played city-states. I have one of the "moves" in my archive - about 20 pages of what that city was doing, conflict with other city-states and nations, news on the royal families or organizations, a bit of Heridothian History... it was fascinating.

And lost.

But I could not find my Heridothin material. With the problems of disk failures, attempts to consolidate old 3.5" floppies (remember those?) and backup CDs, I was sure it was there.

But I also have a project organization program called SCRIVNER and in some forgotten moment of sanity, I had gathered all of my Heridoth text and put them into the Uber Jorune project document. Everything I wanted and things I had forgotten were all there and ready to be pulled. So I have them all. I think there were some old maps, and I already published a wonderful 2-page spread some great spot illustrations from one of the Heridothians in the previous OTHER ARTISTS OF JORUNE feature. (I think there will be some redundancy allowed).

The Heridothians will finally get acknowledged.

Ce n'est pas la couverture de Sho Copra Joe
But very much like it
And a closing note. It was suggested that, when I finish the last issue of SSC, I should produce a single volume with my material - edited - for a print version. And I am thinking of doing my whole production other than SHOLARI v2n1, the GOMO GUIDES (Tan Iricid may still happen - this year), to create a collection of my writings for Jorune. I think the other authors deserve a cut of the pie and will try to come up with something for those who want it - a few people have already said they are happy just to see Jorune get a little more exposure.

So - I am thinking of that.

I have also decided to adopt a title. It won't go on my business cards — who would ask me for a business card. But I want to acknowledge my quarter of a century building a Jorune I remain very fond of, and recognizing that I am also a student and will always. be learning.

Sho Copra Joe. I'll use that for the rest of the run. Maybe my death scene will be well painted with romantic realism. But I suspect a cell phone photo with me on the ground after "oops" is much more likely.


No comments:

Post a Comment