Thursday, September 20, 2018

Boil

The Mac 512 changed my life. This is a Plus.
The model after the Fat Mac 512. The is not
the keyboard - the 512 did not have a keypad.
1985 I traded a first draft of a screenplay that
would go nowhere for my Mac. It payed me
far beyond that screenplay, for many years. I
had a 512, 512 with Brainstorm, 405, Mac II, 
SE, SE 2-Drive (Still have one of those), 525, 
Powerbook 100, 105, 120, 150, 512, MacBooks
(several), iMac (several), and now the late and
lamented MacMini. Time to make the move to
Linux, for which I have been preparing.

I survived Florence and the flood are downriver from me. No damage from those.

So at the end of the storm I took a spike to my system. I have a very good burger protector with a two plug battery backup (cpu and monitor), but that does not protect you from a spike. I always thought the old people telling you to unplug your devices was an old wives tell, well I'm an old man now and it's true. I lost my iMac almost two years ago to a similar spike that munged the disk. This time it munged the cpu.

But the CPU works in the old I Mac, and I had a outboard FireWire disk with a working 10.12, and an outboard USB with a working 10.13 boot. I have been trying to salvage files between iCloud, DropBox, backups, and old files. The disk on the iMac booted again, I transferred about 19Gigs of files from April 2017 (which was the iMac bit it) and the iMac disk went away again. It tried, bless it's little silicon heart.

Among the recent files that were eaten was the layout for COLELCTED DANSTEAD TRAVELLER and most of the Colonial. But I'll do it again - not my first rodeo. I still don't have a cover, so ... not that big a deal. I can crank out what I had done before. It's come up with many wild broncos.

Those are the losses I've notice. So far. At least the one's Jorune related.

Something else is happening that I find scary. SOMETHING is wrong and I suddenly get a second disk image for hard USB disks. It happened last night with my collection of Television shows (like my favorite TV SciFi series, STAR COPS, and my almost complete HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET, and THE SINGING DETECTIVE and ... a lot. But I then saw there was a second image with the same name and all the files were there. MP4s to beat the band.

Gave me a start. Almost a stop.

But it means something is wrong with the file systems. I hope it is just because of the Mac OS. I will be using this event to exit MacWorld. After 27 years. I will get a Windows 10 box and immediately install Linux, either Elementary or reinstall Ubuntu Studio, which formerly lived on a partition fo the MacMini disk. I will keep a Mac running enough to transfer files from a Mac to a Windows system. I tried consolidating file and had certain filed (from my documentary archive) that would not copy because "some of the data cannot be read or written." For which I cannot find a good interpretation.

So, movement forward, however glacial, is progress.

A damn irritation, tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment