Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Back to the Glass Mines

Sho-Cauadal is heavily favored with silicon in the crust. Earth has high silicon in lava, so it would make sense that there would be a wide variety of glass in the crust of Jorune. Broken, dangerous glass in sizes undreamed of on our planet. So mining glass of particular qualities, would be an occupation. The isho-crystals are a variant.

I have not been working on Jorune for a little while. The death of one friend hit me harder than the others I have had to trudge past. Some bodies are harder to step over than others.

First: after months of fighting with DriveThruRPG on rejecting the cover for Sholari v2n1, today I got a notice that it was accepted. PDF X variants, versus one variant they said I had chosen which I have never ever ever ever chosen in all the decades I have been working with PDF, the CYMK was wrong. Then the trim size was wrong. The ONLY change I made between the latest submission and the one that was rejected before was adding 8-pixels around the art to make their trim knives happy. Must keep the trim knives happen.

I am very unhappy with the shipping costs for print products and that may not be completely on DrivethruRPG's doorstep. I was just hit with 1-3 week shipping for $4, or something that might be more reasonable starting at $10 for one issue of Sholari, and up!

But I'm an old fart and remember when Taco Bell was 19¢ per item

Second: I have been looking at a square format for the Gomo Guides. Been looking at that for quite a while. I mentioned it before but have not given anything to describe it. This is a rough mock-up. Thriddle would have no reason to work off the odd rectangular format common to most Earth media. The alternatives are scrolls - our papyrus scrolls are sheets join for linear bonding or the more logical equal-sided sheet that fits in with what I understand as Thriddle psychology. Over-thoughty. I had hinted at that with an earlier post with Thriddle paper sizes. and six formats created with five folds. Down to the sneered upon "book".

A rough. My idea of a sketch. The map already exists and needs to have some adjustments made to place names to bring it more in line with Sholari James' version of Tan Iricid. Why not?

Third: At work, really. In addition to SHOLARI v2n1 I am working on:

GOMO GUIDE: TAN IRICID.

THE ANGEL OF DRAIL. One character has blossomed as clearly the lead of this books and possibly a lead character for the whole series of books planned. They are all outgrowths of SLAM DESTI, BOY YORD from SHOLARI v1n3, which was a hoot. But the linked novels may be:
  • Angel of Drail
  • Allidoth Confidential
  • Children of Bomoveris, which will most likely be broken into more than one book. Possibly even a dread "trilogy." a) Rise of the Colony, b) Children of Bomovers, and c) the Battle of Kirlan. Tentatively. A Trilogy. Gasp.
SEGMENT: SHO-CAUDAL... Monlthly or better. #4 is about to go out.

A BOOK OF SHORT STORIES. I have posted of needing stories to flesh this out. I am not the only writer capable of writing Jorune adventures. They do not have to be grim and serious - they could bu fun and silly (like Day War in an earlier issue of Segment: Sho-Caudal. I have stories that are not based on the Slam Desti crew, but a role-playing based novel with a team instead of just a single character—who would ever have thought of that? And they are fun to write - hopefully fun to read.

You can be a starving aritst for Jorune, whether in words or picture. Or both. I have an idea for.Jorune comic book.

But all of this opens a door I should explore in a separate entry. But...

Fourth: It is hard to do this in isolation. I am seeking other channels because Jorune does not give me a conversation, which communicates that other people do not want to have that conversation. And monologues are boring. Particularly to the monologist.

So I shift gears more to places where I get response and exchanges of ideas.  Writing is a lonely art, and art an exercise of screaming to be understood. The lack of response is more difficult. So do not be surprised that I do not continue where I only find an echo. I am calling for people to respond and maybe we can meet up in a glen somewhere to discuss what we have seen, or what we are afraid we will see.

Hundreds of people signed up on the various channels, and five people talking.


2 comments: